Monday, October 12, 2009

4 years since the car accident

This is Aubrey is front of the Camry. She was 5 and had just been released from the hospital the day before and I was still in the hospital for who knows how long. This picture gets me every time, because even though I can't see her face, I can just see all the emotion that is there.

Four years ago today, I was on my way home from picking up Aubrey and Avery from kindergarten when we were t-boned by a jeep running a red light. (Talking on a cell phone of course.) It was that split second that turned our lives upside down. Funny how things happen like that. If you want to read the whole story, and my whole story I mean loooooong, you can read it on my blog here:

If you don't want to read to long story (and I don't blame ya!) Aubrey and I were life flighted, her to Primary Children's and me to U of U Hospital. Avery was the only one that was conscious and remembers it. (Avery is 6 months older than Aubrey and they grew up like sisters, since I watched her from the time she was a baby while her mom worked.) Avery was taken by ambulance to the hospital and had some stitches on her forehead. Aubrey had stitches to her forehead and suffered a concussion which kept her in the hospital overnight. I suffered a broken shoulder, rib(s?), left hip and pelvic bone and had internal bleeding where the removed my spleen and fixed my kidney and live. Taylor (who had been laid of from work the week before which ended up being a blessing, since he was home with 10 week old Braden) didn't find out about it for several hours (the whole ward knew before he did ... this was back in the days of dial up and people couldn't get through to him, since he was job hunting). I spent the month in the hospital. The first few days on a ventilator, had several surgeries including a screw in my pelvic bone (see the pix below) and remained in a wheelchair while things healed for about 3 months. It was a long recovering, but there were many great things that came from it. (Okay, this was supposed to be the short story!)

This is not a great scan of my xray, but it will work. Most people ask how I am doing now, and I can't complain really. I do get sore where the screw is and this time of year (weather changing) is when I have been noticing the most pain. But hey, doesn't every one have a bad back or bum knee? I can pretty much do everything I want to do and even ran a half marathon a year and a half ago, something I would have never thought possible 4 years ago!

So, take today to hug someone you love and remember what's really important. I am grateful to all my friends and family who pulled us through this hard time, I will NEVER forget what you did! (Taylor, my Mom and Tammy who took turns being with me around the clock ... Mom dropped everything and flew out here from Florida, staying for 7 months. Stacey who made me cute hospital nightgowns. Susan who took care of Braden, neighbors & young women who did countless hours of service). I'm grateful to the kindness of strangers who stopped to take care of us (Tara, I am remembering you and the kindness you had to hold up Aubrey's head until the paramedics came!) And I love all of my new friends and am grateful for you! I really am blessed and grateful to be here!



Josh and Stacy said...

How are you? I won't forget that day. It spread like wild fire through the ward. We saw it on the way too and on the way home from school. The kids and I were amazed by the helicopters, not knowing who was in them. I am glad that you have done so well. We still miss your family. What did you all think about that big shoot out in Castle Dale.

Amy said...

what a miracle! so happy you are alive and well...what a story!