Monday, October 13, 2008

3 year anniversary

No, not marriage anniversary ... yesterday was officially the 3 year anniversary since the car accident. I won't go into details about it now, but if you didn't see the story, you can read it here:

http://the-keeles.blogspot.com/2008/07/remembering-car-accident.html

This one was definitely the best. You see, when we came up on the first anniversary, I was totally unprepared for the emotional punch in the stomach it would be. Last year, I was flying out to Seattle for my Grandpa's memorial service. So there was a lot of stuff going on, but I was prepared this time and had two amazing blessings, which still strengthen me today. This year, things are much calmer in my life and I've been really in a state of being so grateful for the blessings I have. So, I'm happy to say that yesterday was a fairly uneventful day!!!

Looking back to my recovery, I am so amazed and grateful for the way things are. Here are just a few things:
  • First, I am grateful to be alive and that I didn't have to witness my daughter or Avery passing away.
  • I am grateful that Braden was 10 weeks old. If I had to be in the hospital now, at 3 years old he would have a very hard time understanding and coping.
  • I am amazed and in awe that my body was able to run a half marathon this spring. If you had bet me a million dollars 3 years ago, I would never have believed you. There was a while that I didn't think I'd ever be able to get out of bed on my own again, let alone RUN!
  • I am grateful to have witnessed just how much people love and care for me and my family. Between the visits (which meant the world), the dinners, people helping to clean and rake leaves, drives to the doctors, and on and on. For that first 2-3 weeks, I was never alone in the hospital. And Taylor never had to worry about who would take care of the kids. Afterwards, I have heard people say, "Oh I should of done more" or "I didn't really do anything" but really, it all meant SO much!
  • One of my biggest fears after the accident, was that I would never be able to do the things I wanted to do as a Mom. I received an amazing blessings letting me know that I would have a full recovery. This is very apparent in my life. I am now able to volunteer on the PTA at Aubrey's school, play on the playground with the kids, give Braden piggy back rides, have pillow fights, read books ... and on and on. Sure I get that achy twinge that reminds me when I need to take it easy, but I am only held back by my own thoughts.
  • I am grateful to have met Tara, who was there to help us before the paramedics came. It was no coincidence that she and Stacy are neighbors (and good friends) and we were able to connect. When there is so much gloom and doom going on in the world, it is so nice to know that there are people around that are willing to give of themselves willingly. Ultimately, it is Heavenly Father's love for us that shows through.
I could go on, but I think you get the idea ... thanks for being there for me, whether you knew it or not!

3 comments:

Kacie Powell Keele said...

That day was pretty freaky for all of us. So glad that you guys are all okay now! Love ya'!

Christy said...

I am glad to hear that the day went smoothly. And I am so glad to have you back in my life. Thanks for keeping in touch!
-Christy

Doug & Angie Gray said...

I can't belive it has been three years it doesn't seem like that long ago but I am glad it is and that you lived.